Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Familie, German Activities, und Musik Festival!


Welkommen to Kleinansbach und the Hollenbach Familie!


In Freitag, 22 Juni, 2013, I left from Getsche’s house and went to the train station with Charlotte in Borg. (I apologize in advance for any misspelled German words!). This was my first time riding a train! Some of the trains are fancier than others, it really just depends on what train you are on, and where the train is going as to the condition of the train. Early in the morning, the train was pretty open, but by the time I got to the fast-high paced train, it was packed. I had to change seats twice because I was sitting in a reserved seat. I quickly learned how to say “Ist das frei?”-meaning “Is this free?” and pointing to the seat. It was not unusual on any of the trains to see people just standing or sitting in-between cars. I also realized what Bettina meant by “finding your luggage,” because on the train, people store their luggage either above, like in an airplane, or they put them by the door-which is where my big suitcase went halfway through the four hour train ride I had. That is something that I don’t think would happen in the USA, we are so careful about keeping our bags with us, concerned about terrorists or people stealing stuff that we keep our bags by us constantly, so you can imagine this was a bit of a shock and a little tough for me to leave my suitcase over there. I was constantly watching to make sure it was still there after every train station (I could see from my seat). Finally, after 6 ½ hours in trains, I made it to Crailsheim to meet my host family! Now in Germany-this is a very long trip, in the USA-this is considered an easy drive for a vacation. Anyway, I got off the train and had to go from one platform to the other, but I got downstairs and didn’t know which way to go. Thank goodness Ute and Anna came to look for me, cuz that’s where we found each other, lol.  By the way-going to the bathroom in a moving train is tougher than in a moving airplane!

We drove back to their house, and Anna showed me around the house, and the farm. The Hollenbach’s own a turkey farm, they have three barns full of turkeys! The family consists of five members: Rainer (Father), Ute (Mother), Max (Oldest), Anna (middle), and Lina (youngest). We ate leftover goulash for supper and then I had time to unpack and get settled in my room.

Throughout the week, we did a lot of farm work, a little sight-seeing and various activities. These activities included building silos (yes I did help build silos!), a roof on a small stone structure, going to Wurttenburg, a community celebration of summer, a special church gathering for a good summer and harvests, high ropes courses, and playing in a band.  We also tend to play games in the late afternoon/evening. So far a favorite seems to be Wurfel Ligretto-a game I would like to bring home! This week, I also learned how to cook some different German food-but I think I will write a different blog focused on food and various observations, as it will be easier and better since this post will be very long.

It was interesting in seeing how a German Roof is built. Rainer thinks that a German roof would be able to withstand a tornado or hurricane. German homes are also made from stone, so my host family thought they would be tougher against tornados and hurricanes. But I have seen old stone buildings destroyed by tornados. I have yet to see a structure that could withstand a tornado or hurricane

On Samstag (Saturday 6/23) we went to a community party to celebrate summer. There was food: turkey steaks and German sausage for supper. Stockbrot, which is roasting bread on a stick (this is after the main meal kinda like we make smores after the meal, they make stockbrot). And in typical German fashion there is many different drinks, from carbonated water to pop to beer. For this party, there was a great big bonfire, that I got to help light, and then people stay up all night long and wait for the sunrise. I learned that a sunrise here is not like a sunrise in Kansas. While the sun does not go down until 9:30 or 10pm at night, there are not really colors in the sky as we see at home. The same is with a sunrise, the sky lightens, and that is considered the sunrise.  Anyway, the party was fun, several of the adults tried to speak with me and we could understand one another at least to an extent. There were a couple people there (outside of my host family) who spoke English that I could talk with too, which was very nice as it was my second day here in S. Germany and the dialect in S. Germany is very difficult to understand.  I think that may have been the toughest part in coming to Germany so far, is the language barrier the first couple days here in S. Germany. While my family is wonderful and talking with me and helping me learn English, it was tough helping to build silos and trying to figure out the language at times too.


On Sonntag (Sunday) afternoon, we also went to Wurttenberg, which is a Medieval village that is still standing. We went and walked around a bit, ate ice cream (I can eat the fruit ice cream here! It’s made from wasser (water) not milch (milk)!) Rainer pointed out various places within the city, we stopped at the cathedral, but it was closed so we couldn’t go in, and we also walked along the wall. You can see a lot of the city from within the wall, so it was very interesting. Wurttenburg is considered to be a big tourist location-all Americans and Japanese tours make a point to stop at Wurttenburg.

On Montag, I went with Anna to go to a high ropes course. I have never done a high ropes course, and although I wasn’t sure about it, I knew that I would rather go with Anna than stay and sit at home. Plus this trip is also about trying new things, so why not finally conquer a ropes course? The ropes course is different from at home, they have various levels of courses and various heights off the ground. It is also all self-led. Once you go through the informational section you are on your own to complete the course. Instead of using ropes, they use clamps to hook into each section with. Maybe that made it seem less scary, I don’t know, but it was still difficult moving through the courses. We never got to the 50 ft high course, but we did complete the two hardest courses at the site. I cannot decide whether this version of a ropes course where it is all self-led is better, or having to learn to trust someone with a rope is better. I think each way has its + and –‘s. One thing I do like, is you progress in stages, not just high or low. That was a lot of fun!

On Freitag, I went to Blaskapelle Rehearsal in Kirchegard. It is a community band made up of families. Rainer and Ute’s cousin is the conductor of the band. In Germany there are three levels of bands, and this was considered a middle level band. As I discussed with one of the clarinetists later, I think that playing music should be fun regardless of the difficulty. Yes, I can play and enjoy the challenge of tough music, but if it is not fun-what is the point of playing? Music is meant to be fun, and playing to play was so much fun! It’s been a long time since I have played in an ensemble and I enjoyed it a lot. I also met several people at the rehearsal which was fun.  They invited me to play on Sonntag (6/30) at a Musik Festival in Bavaria. Before I could even answer, they had everything figured out and called Rainer and Ute to inform them of the parade. So I got to participate in a German Musik Festival!!! How cool is that! We marched and played (first time for me since um 8th grade, I would have been 13 or 14 then!), and at the end of the parade all the bands gathered outside the tent where concerts were held during the festival. There were between 25 and 30 bands in the parade, so that amounted to something like 400 musicians! And we played as one large band then! We played: Festmusik by Wagner, Mein Heinmatland, Bayerhymne (Bavaria State Song), and Deustchlandlied (German National Song). One of the cool parts-I could understand the director’s instructions and announcements for each song! It was great! And to play with so many people! Oh my goodness! It was crazy, but such a neat experience too!

There is a lot to learn about Germany customs and food and many new experiences being on a farm and all. Probably one of the greatest things though, is hanging out with my host sisters too. Last night, we couldn’t stop laughing from various random funny things that were said or happened. Lina even got one portion of laughter on a recording! I enjoy spending time with the family and playing games, laughing, or just relaxing.





No comments:

Post a Comment