Saturday, July 27, 2013

Wilkommen Heinemann Familie!!! (Week 1)


Hallo from the Heinemann Family! Am Dienstag, 16 Juli, Ich komme aus Crailsheim am Bahnhof zu Delmenhorst und den bei auto zu Stuhr zu Heinemann Family Hause! (On Tuesday July 16, I came from Crailsheim to Delmenhorst and then by car to Sturh to the Heinemann Family’s home.) At the train station I was met by Ihnes and two very shy children: Talina and Bjarne. The children were not shy for very long. As soon as we got home and started playing, they were no longer shy. Talina taught me a new game with the trampoline and a tiger-or “Through the Tiger Back” as I call it. (Talina loves the trampoline and there is hardly a day where she is not on the trampoline playing, and often times I am playing with her!) By that evening I was tired. I remember now why I was always so tired at the end of a school day-regardless of the age, kids take a lot of energy and leave you drained-but yet excited. Oh, and Bjarne loves the sandbox! He played in the sandbox for quite some time on his own. Kai got home for work and came to join in on the fun. Introductions to my second family: Kai, Ihnes, Talina (4), and Bjarne (1 ½). Stuhr is located in Northern Germany in the state of Niedersachsen. We are very close to Delmenhorst and Bremen. Stuhr is a small city of 1000-2000 people living here.

-Normal Day

So ein normal tag im Heinemann Familie  ist: waking up to hearing the children playing upstairs. The children are usually up around 630 am. Some mornings I hear they kids playing other mornings I generally wake up around 730 and we eat breakfast at 830-ish. After breakfast we may run errands, go to the park, play games inside or outside, work in the garden,  or maybe even jumping on the trampoline. Mittag (lunch) is usually eaten around 12noon and is a simple meal of brotchen (rolls), fleisch (meat), und kase (cheese). In the afternoon is playing with the kids some more. Supper then is after Kai returns home in the evening and the family has a bigger meal. Sometimes it is  traditional German food, but generally it is more modern-ish meals. After supper it is time to get the kids ready for bed. Sometimes this includes a bat (bath), and other days it is only brushing teeth, preparing for bed, and reading a book of their choice before saying goodnight. I get to read off and on throughout the week, and sometimes I get to read to either Talina or Bjarne or both. 

 

So this past week, we have done a lot of different things. Like I said typically playing with the kids and errands are the normal aspects of the day. But in addition to this, we have also visited friends or to other areas as well. On Friday evening I went to Bremen with Kai as he had an interview there and then afterwards we met up with a coworker and US correspondent to their workplace. While Kai was in the interview, I walked around the Marktplaz and went into the St. Petri’s Dome Cathedral. Although I could only go through the open section (not into the museum or up the stairs to see the view) it was still phenomenal and overwhelming to see. I don’t know why, but churches always seem to affect me in some way. I took time to sit down and look around at the construction, the statues and the craftsmanship. I also counted the number of organs within the church -5 in total.   After leaving the church I walked around and took photos-a lot of photos! When everyone finally met up, we went to supper at Pauliner’s. Two of the group ordered traditional Southern Germany food, while two of us at Northern Germany food-can you guess which I ordered? If you guessed Northern Germany-you are right! Now that I am in N. Germany I want to eat what they do now. After supper we toured around the Schlachte, Schnool, Marktplaz, and I think that’s it. It was getting dark but we meandered around yet too. It was quite fun to take random photos throughout the evening-especially when I gave my camera away to have photos taken-those are probably some of the funniest photos.

On Saturday we went to a nearby zoo. It was a smaller zoo, and here it is actually called an Animal Park because it is geared for younger kids. As we meandered through the animal exhibits, there were also dioramas of different fables, primarily by the Brother’s Grimm. Some stories like Cinderella or Snow White and Seven Dwarves, were familiar, but there were many other stories that were not so familiar like the Bremen Musicians. Then about half-way through the park, there is this huge playground area with paddleboats, swings, trampolines, ziplining for kids, a jungle gym, a water play area, and more. It was so crazy how much there was there! But it is definitely the highlight of the zoo. As we moved on we paused at the ponies, and Talina decided to feed them leaves from the tree nearby. And finally we came across the sea otters, and it was so cute! They have so many different sounds that they can make as they are talking. I couldn’t stop watching them. And we also got to watch them eat. I won’t share in case you don’t like hearing those stories.

On Sunday, Kai took me to Bremerhaven to the Immigration Center. There is a museum of what it would have been like to immigrate from Germany as far back as the late 1600s when the first immigrants left Germany up through parts of the 1900s on the ships. Throughout the museum you can listen to stories, and history, and records from diaries about people’s experience on the ships and upon entering America. Each person also receives and individual person’s story to follow through the museum. The person I had left Germany in 1939 because her family was Jewish. They were also doctors that when they reached the US-their medical degrees were no longer valid. It was a long and complicated process for her family to come to the US. I learned too, that at Stanten Island you were asked 28 questions, and had 30 seconds to answer each question. We went through a simulation of these questions in order to find out if we would be admitted or not. Luckily we got through. There was also a room where you could research about your own family’s history. Since we have little information about the Funk’s I emailed home for all the information we had for both the Funk’s and the Frantz sides. I was able to track our family back to the first Funk’s, but I was unable to find  out when either the Funks or  the Frantz immigrated as the records from 1860-1900 have been destroyed due to lack of space during that time. But it was still awesome to look up the information and find out more about our history. When I put in my Great Great Grandfather’s name and it came up my response was literally “hey that’s him!” My goal now this next year, is to put a family tree together for my Dad’s side and to make it current, so that we have our history written down as that is very important.   

 

I think I will stop there and start with Monday on the next blog, since that is due to be posted in a few days anyway. Sorry for the late blogs-you know I am no good at posting these on time. A few observations/learning:

·         Dogs can go just about anywhere! Even at the zoo they had a place for the dogs to play a game and cool-off from the heat.

·         So University here for students does not cost the students anything but a few hundred euros to pay for parking and a few other fees. Everything else is covered by the federal government and states.

·         The Waste System here seems a little complex at first hearing about it, but it really isn’t and it is something I think the USA can learn and utilize to eliminate so much trash. They have three trash cans and recycle paper in one; plastics in another, and finally everything else in the final one. And most people have a compost pile. In some areas in the USA you can recycle things, but this seems very efficient and easy for everyone to do.

·         Also-I think I finally understand the school system here! It was confusing and too confusing to try and explain here. So if you are interested, send me an email or a message and I’ll try to explain it, or wait until I get back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment